I don't look for anything.
It comes to me.


Jack Bush, 1977









"I don't look for anything. It comes to me. I may be walking along a road and I see a mark on the road; it looks interesting, so I try it out as a painting. Or looking at some flowers in the garden - how can I get the feel of those colours, of the flower colours, the nice smell and everything? ...

I'm not painting flowers. I'm painting the essence, the feeling to me only, not how somebody else feels about those flowers, only me. Then I forget the flowers and make a good painting of it if I can."

Jack Bush, 1977
,
taken from here...



----------------


Jack Bush was a member of the Toronto artist group Painters Eleven who banded together in 1954 to promote abstract painting. Through this involvement he met the influential New York City art critic Clement Greenberg. Bush was encouraged by Greenberg to abandon his Abstract Expressionist style characterized by hovering amorphous shapes on the picture plane. He would simplify his composition by using an all-over coverage of thinly applied bright colours inspired by his watercolour sketches.

His work is based on an abstract record of his perceptions. He did not expect the viewer to see the flower or hear the music that inspired his work, but only to share in the feeling through his painting.











(currently soaking in the works of the painters eleven)

a collective from 1953 to 1960 of painters in toronto....
--------------------------
You have read this article death of painting / jack bush / painters eleven / painting collective with the title . You can bookmark this page URL http://gigibytes.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-dont-look-for-anything.html. Thanks!

No comment for " "

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...