I appreciate the craftsmanship of these things. I appreciate those who designed them and especially those who built them. I value the creation and building more than anything. I admire the men, like my Grandfather, who build their own homes.”

- Jason Koharik, artist, sculptor










Jason Koharik's works are now up at Lawson and Fenning in Silver Lake. Koharik's target paintings caught my eye a year ago. I was stoked to see a whole new series of targets the last time I dropped into Lawson and Fenning in Silver Lake. Jason was kind enough to send some words regarding his ideas, and personal history as an artist. Thanks Jason!

















the visual centers, aka targets





An artist, identical twin, interior designer, electrician, contractor, carpenter, craftsman, and a collector.

Jason Koharik grew up in a small town just outside of Cleveland Ohio called Bedford, where he had always been primarily interested in creating, building, fixing, painting and drawing. In 1997 he moved to Los Angeles and almost immediately got involved in commercial production, which often in fluences his work.

Jason has always collected all the materials for his work: Some works have taken more than ten years of collection. Thousands of pieces of camera tape, leather scrap, tools, dummy loads of fi lm, canvas, wood, used paint sticks, furniture, tape measures, a lost sand bag, a questionable c-stand, location signs, or lost work gloves.

"In the interior design world I fi nd people are often afraid of C O L O R. Even in furniture galleries, the room tends to go beige or safe. The targets, I feel, make a strong statement. They change a room. Add some charm, either in their age or their color without throwing off the balance of the room. They work as a visual center and as a secondary accent piece."

















I appreciate the craftsmanship of these things. I appreciate those who designed them and especially those who built them. I value the creation and building more than anything. I admire the men, like my Grandfather, who build their own homes.”





------------------




He looks at furniture and sculpture as the same thing. “I try to fi nd the moment when you cannot tell the difference”. His paintings are the same. “I think of my paintings as furniture pieces. I try to create something with function and purpose. I want my paintings to understand their environment and t the sofa they hang above”.








--------------------




LAWSON AND FENNING : East
1618 Silver Lake Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026






----------------------------
You have read this article jason koharik / lawson and fenning with the title . You can bookmark this page URL http://gigibytes.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-appreciate-craftsmanship-of-these.html. Thanks!

No comment for " "

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...