Y H B H S (card catalog) selection 12

India Carpenter
,
artist, London
"It's such a simplistic statement that it's almost embarrassing to admit, but every time I look at it, I can't help thinking about the people 500... 2000 years ago who sat down and made these objects, with their hands and their knowledge, and with such skill and such elegance."























Two Thousand Years of Oriental Ceramics




India Carpenter writes: "It was quite an easy choice to be honest. It's a big book. The shelf it lives on is pretty rickety. I know it's going to cause an accident and I will be the victim. But, in the meantime this is what I have to say about it........

My book is Two Thousand Years of Oriental Ceramics printed in 1961 by Thames and Hudson.

It lives within easy reach on a shelf above my desk in my studio. It's an exquisite and epic book, thick heavy pages full of large black and white prints and beautiful hand mounted colour plates.

The objects in this book really do blow me away. Each piece, without exception has been created with such immense skill and refinement. They are quite intense objects, just beautiful and full of soul. It's such a simplistic statement that it's almost embarrassing to admit, but every time I look at it I can't help thinking about the people 500... 2000 years ago who sat down and made these objects, with their hands and their knowledge and with such skill and such elegance. It's pretty wondrous. I find it enormously inspiring."















India Carpenter is an artist living in London. Go here to see more of her work. Or follow this link to read a previous YHBHS interview with India Carpenter here...





----------------------
You have read this article book list / card catalog 12 / card catalog india carpenter / ceramics / india carpenter with the title . You can bookmark this page URL http://gigibytes.blogspot.com/2010/12/y-h-b-h-s-card-catalog-selection-12-i.html. Thanks!

No comment for " "

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...