Louise Bourgeois, 98. R. I. P.

You have to have the courage to take risks.
You have to have independence.

All these things are gifts.
They are blessings.


-Louise Bourgeois












Louise Bourgeois:

She taught me to look into the dark. To not fear the dark side.
To rejoice in emotion, and trust in my own intuition.
That sculpture and art can free us of our demons,
and point us to our path.

A sad day to hear about her passing....



















"I only work when I feel the need to express something.
I may not be sure of exactly what it is,
but I know that something is cooking and when I am on the right track.
The need is very strong.
To express your emotions, you have to be very loose and receptive.
The unconscious will come to you, if you have that gift that artists have.
I only know if I'm inspired by the results."



Louise Bourgeois






















Louise Bourgeois, the French-born American artist who gained fame only late in a long career, when her psychologically charged abstract sculptures, drawings and prints had a galvanizing effect on younger artists, particularly women,
died on Monday at the Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan.


She was 98.

NY Times...


























Art is a privilege, a blessing, a relief.
Privilege means that you are a favorite, that what you do is not completely to your credit, not completely due to you, but is a favor conferred upon you.



Privilege entitles you when you deserve nothing. Privilege is something you have and others don’t. Art was a privilege given to me, and I had to pursue it, even more than the privilege of having children.

















The whole art mechanism is the result of many privileges, and it was a privilege to be part of it…The privilege was the access to the unconscious. It is a fantastic privilege to have access to the unconscious. I had to be worthy of this privilege, and to exercise it. It was a privilege also to be able to sublimate. A lot of people cannot sublimate. They have no access to their unconscious.

There is something very special in being able to sublimate your unconscious, and something very painful in the access to it.....








------------------------------------------
You have read this article Louise Bourgeois / obiturary / rip with the title Louise Bourgeois, 98. R. I. P.. You can bookmark this page URL http://gigibytes.blogspot.com/2010/05/louise-bourgeois-98-r-i-p.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Louise Bourgeois, 98. R. I. P."

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...