Ruth Duckworth 1919-

















Banned from art school in Germany, Duckworth fled to England. She carved tombstones for a living, and worked in a munitions factory making bullets during the war.

"Because I wanted to beat Hitler. I was very naïve, and my father's Jewish," she said. "I polished the die in which the bullets were cast. And so I was always working with the bullet shape."















."And four of them were intellectually very clever and I hated school, Latin, grammar," Duckworth said. "My oldest sibling was a brother. He was seven years older. And he said to me when I was about 19, 'You want to be an artist? Be one. I will always look after you.' And two years later he was dead. He was on a ship that was sunk by a Japanese u-boat in the Second World War."
You have read this article ceramics / sculpture with the title . You can bookmark this page URL http://gigibytes.blogspot.com/2009/08/ruth-duckworth-1919-banned-from-art.html. Thanks!

No comment for " "

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...